International Advising Office

300 S. Fair Oaks Ave (North Building)
Pasadena, CA 91105
9:00am - 4:00pm
(626) 568-8850

Maintaining your Student Status

International students at LACM are responsible for maintaining their immigration and academic status. Keeping track of and staying up to date regarding the following documents and procedures will help you ensure that both statuses are in good standing.

  • Maintain full-time student status of at least 12 credits a quarter.
  • Study hard and maintain a Cumulative Grade Point Average of at least 2.0. If you need help, visit the Academic Adviser.
  • Attend all your classes. If absent from classes due to illness, provide a doctor note to your teacher.

  • As an international student, it is your responsibility to maintain a valid passport at all times. If you need help, contact your home country consulate to extend your passport.

  • As an international student, it is your responsibility to maintain a valid I-20 at all times.

  • As an international student, it is your responsibility to maintain a valid I-94 at all times.

  • Update student file with any new address, phone number or other changes within 10 days.
  • Your student information can be changed and updated on your Populi account profile.

Students may travel internationally during scheduled school breaks. Students returning to the US from a temporary break should ensure they have the required documents to re-enter.

  • Required Documents for Re-entry to the US- Valid Passport (valid for at least 6 months beyond the date of the re-entry to the US.)
    • Valid F-1 visa in passport (except students from Canada)
    • I-20 with a valid travel signature from International Office
  • Recommended Supporting Documents.
    • Financial support documents (proof of funding)
    • LACM acceptance letter (students)
    • Paper receipt of Form I-901 Sevis fee payment
    • Students only: Copy of LACM transcript and/or proof of course registration
    • Contact info for LACM International Office.
  • Emergency Contact Information During School Break
    • Emergencies at US Port of Entry: (626) 568-8850
    • International Office email account ( will be checked periodically during university breaks. Please note that only inquiries requiring immediate attention will receive a response.

F-1 students are eligible to take an annual vacation after completing an academic year (three quarters). Please submit to the Annual Vacation Form to the International Office. Talk to your designated school official, DSO, before taking your annual vacation. Your DSO will confirm your eligibility for vacation and sign your Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Student Status,” if you plan to travel outside the USA

Health Care

LACM recognizes that each student is a person in need of a strong foundation of health, before they are a musician or music industry member. As such, a high priority is placed on individual well-being and providing support for areas of concern or challenge for each student.


While international students are not required to have health insurance, we highly recommend it. In most cases, the easiest and most affordable option for international students is to request extended (international) coverage from their health insurance provider in their home country (or a separate plan with international coverage). However, if that option is not available, there are many health insurance options for international students in the United States. Contact your DSO for recommendations.

LACM recommends obtaining international health insurance through International Student Insurance:

Counseling Services

Every student enrolled at LACM has free and open access to the Student Support staff and services. Individualized and confidential counseling offers support in areas such as:

  • Time and Money Management
  • Stress Management
  • Substance Use Moderation & Harm Reduction Techniques
  • Drug & Alcohol Addiction Support
  • Special Accommodations Support
  • Community Resources Referrals
  • Food & Housing Insecurity Counseling and Resources
  • Health & Wellness Balance Coaching
  • Conflict Resolution Support

Local Urgent Care Centers

Near LACM Campus:

Pasadena Urgent Care Center
797 S Fair Oaks Ave,
Pasadena, CA 9110

Near the Cadence Apts:

Pasadena Community Urgent Care
3160 E Del Mar Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91107


Los Angeles College of Music (LACM) recognizes that many students seek to secure employment while attending school. Employment is a benefit granted by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to eligible F-1 visa students who have been in good academic standing and have not violated any F-1 status rules and regulations.

There are multiple departments at LACM that employ qualified student workers to support campus projects and activities. Examples of these opportunities might include Live Event Production, Career Services and Outreach, Facilities Tech and Staging Support, Admissions Ambassadors and Campus Outreach Events.

For available student jobs, please see the student job board on Populi. Please note, that working a student job will require you to have a Social Security Number. More information on how to get a SSN on Student Visa:

F-1 student may not work off-campus during their first academic year (Fall – Summer). After the first year, F-1 students may participate in the following two types of off-campus employment:

  1. Curricular Practical Training
  2. Optional Practical Training

For both F-1 and M-1 students any off-campus employment must be related to their area of study and must be authorized prior to starting any work by the Designated School Official (the person authorized to maintain the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)) and USCIS.

OPT is a type of work authorization that permits F-1 students to gain work experience in their field of study while in the United States. OPT is not a visa; rather, it is a type of employment benefit for F-1 students who are maintaining their visa status. Students must first apply for OPT recommendation from their DSO in the International Office. Then students mail documents to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) for adjudication. There are two types of OPT that are explained below.

  • Pre-completion OPT: Work experience that is permitted during the student’s academic program (before the student’s program end date that is printed on the I-20)
  • Post-completion OPT: Work experience that occurs after the student’s academic program ends.

OPT Instructions & Information
OPT Recommendation Form

Many international students are interested in volunteering their time during their stay in the United States for a variety of reasons, like serving others or strengthening their transfer applications. You may wish to participate in a campus event, help out at a food bank, or volunteer in a company in your field, perhaps to “shadow” or observe to gain real-world experience. While the issue of volunteering may seem clear-cut (“I’m not getting paid, therefore I am not working”), it is actually complex and involves immigration regulations and labor law. Some of these activities are legally acceptable, and some are not. Generally any type of volunteer work that is related to a campus club activity is approved. Volunteering off-campus might not be approved. To avoid problems with your visa, please check with the International Student Center before engaging in volunteer activities that are not connected with a student club or a charitable organization.

GDPR Compliance Statement

The Los Angeles College of Music has always been committed to our students’ and applicants’ right to privacy and protection. LACM welcome’s the arrival of the GDPR and is taking the appropriate steps to making sure our data processors adhere to the privacy and protection policies outlined by the EU-US.

If you have any questions about LACM’s commitment to the GDPR or LACM’s policies on privacy and data security, please feel free to contact our office at 626.568.8850

GDPR Compliance Request